Sunday, August 12, 2012

Summer Olympics

The 2012 Summer Olympics in London have come to a close.  I'm a huge fan of watching the Olympics--especially the summer games.  I'm not so much a fan of how it makes you stay up too late and sucks all your time.  I didn't have to worry much about it this year because I didn't get to watch much.  I was excited to watch the opening ceremonies during our popcorn night, but it didn't go over so well.  Emily chattered constantly and kept asking what in the world they were doing during the dances.  Austin thinks it's pointless and wanted to know when the real competitions began.  To this day, I still haven't watched the second half of the opening ceremonies on the DVR.

I tried watching some sporting events after supper with the kids, but after three nights I decided it just wasn't going to work.  They got all riled up, I got too intense trying to actually watch it and bedtime just went badly.  I even tried watching the gymnastics team competition on DVR the next afternoon, but the same thing happened.  Also, during real-time prime time viewing, Emily had a hard time understanding the concept that you had to watch whatever the producers decided to air and you couldn't just decide what you wanted to watch when (spoiled DVR child).  She also didn't appreciate the fluff pieces and would constantly ask when the talking was going to be done.  I guess we'll just have to wait until next time.

One of the reasons it didn't work to watch the games is because the kids would try to imitate the events.  It was fun, but sometimes got out of hand.  Here are some examples...

Beach volleyball: Who isn't inspired by Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh-Jennings?


Swimming: Emily set up a "pool" on the floor and tried to race across.  The kids quickly discovered that it didn't work very well and the sheets wrinkled up too easily, so they resorted to some kind of hybrid running/jumping (see video).





Unknown event:  Not exactly sure what Lincoln is trying to do here.


Gymnastics:  Emily actually got pretty close to doing a real cartwheel.  Lincoln just jumped and rolled around.

 

Balance Beam:  Emily was encouraging Lincoln to use her as a balance beam.  Not a great idea.


I tried watching again one of the last nights only to have to put the kabosh on Lincoln's attempt to perform platform diving off the couch.  Sigh.

No comments: