Sunday, July 7, 2013

Kitchen Day 5: The kids return

I left early in the morning to head back to Hull to pick up the kids.  A good audio book made the 215 mile trip go fast.  I arrived in time for lunch at my parents' along with my sister, BIL and niece.  We visited for a while before loading up everything in the van and heading back to Waverly at 3:00pm.  It was a longer trip home with a couple stops, including supper.  The kids were excited to see the kitchen.  Lincoln's quote: "What happened to the kitchen?!?"  When I showed them the new set-up downstairs, Lincoln said, "This is amazing!"  Emily said, "It's like we're living in the basement."  Ummm, yep.

I didn't take any pictures of the actual kitchen project today.  I think Austin just finished up a lot of little things like siding, putting handles/locks on the doors, framing a new wall and cleaning stuff up.  I think it was a bit of a frustrating day, and the fatigue had really set in.  He had been working non-stop for 4 1/2 days.  We knew we were going to have to call a professional electrician in the morning to hopefully come in to figure out the wiring.  Austin has done a lot of electrical in the past, but this was just too much.  Our timeline seemed to be completely busted.  The general rule of thumb still holds true: After setting a budget and timeline, double the timeline and add 20-30% to the budget and you'll be pretty close.

No comments: