Sunday, October 17, 2010

Des Moines Marathon

No, I did NOT run a marathon.  However, I witnessed my first marathon!  The IMT Des Moines Marathon was this weekend.  My sister and BIL ran the half marathon.  Plus a huge team (over 100 runners) from our church called Iowans for Africa ran to raise money to build a school in Africa in an area that our church has adopted.  It was great to have so many people to cheer for and cheer with!  The weather was absolutely perfect, and I got a great spot along Gray's Lake to see the half-marathoners three times.  Plus I made it to the finish area to see my sister.  Then I helped with the food booth for our church team and watched many of them come in for the marathon.  What an exciting event! 

Here's a picture of my sister and BIL at the finish with the sign Emily & I made.  We forgot our first one at home, so we had to make another one last night.  That was probably okay, though, because after I wrote the words on the first one and told Emily she could decorate it however she wanted the first thing she did was draw a house and a stop sign that said "ZTOP".  Not exactly what I had in mind for a race poster, but oh well!  This one had a picture of Emily with her name signed in curlicues. :o)

Here's a couple pictures of the lake they ran around where I camped out.

 
Where were the kids you may ask?  They were having fun with Grandpa & Grandma Lorenzen! They got to play at church, visit the toy aisles of Wal-mart and eat McDonald's for lunch.  The kids & I actually drove down Saturday morning.  We had fun taking a very long walk around the Waukee stadium during State Marching Band contest and playing at a nearby park. 

Lincoln LOVES slides and can go down by himself backwards on his belly. 


Emily loves climbing on everything and had fun drawing people in the sand. 


Super job runners, and thanks to Grandpa & Grandma Lorenzen for a fun weekend!

1 comment:

Heather's Henhouse said...

Sounds like fun! We were planning to go watch as Phil's brother and girl friend were running but we had to stay behind with Wendell being sick. What a great day for a race!