Friday, May 31, 2013

Des Moines getaway

This weekend my sister and brother-in-law ran the Dam to Dam 20k race in Des Moines.  My mom went along to watch my niece.  Since they had an extra hotel room, they invited the kids & I to join them for swimming and fun.  We stayed at the Sheraton West Des Moines.  Both kids were fascinated by the glass elevator (we were on the 5th floor). 


We ate supper at Jordan Creek Mall.  The kids enjoyed "hiking" around the pond and watching the geese.



Then it was pool time!  Emily did really well floating around the pool in a blow-up ring.  Lincoln was mostly a shore-dweller, happily filling and emptying buckets and bottles.  Cousin Saylor is a little fish and will fearlessly jump in at any time.


Emily slept on the hide-a-bed couch in Abbie & Wade's room.  Lincoln slept in a queen bed with me.  It was not a restful night.  :op  My mom & I got the kids up and out the door just in time to see Abbie & Wade cross the finish line in downtown Des Moines.  Abbie made her goal of a sub-8:00 pace, and they finished together in 1:37:59.  That was good enough for 26th in her age division.


The kids had one more round in the pool before heading back to Jordan Creek Mall for lunch.  Emily was so excited to go back and picked Subway.  I am thrilled we now have another option besides McDonald's!  After lunch the kids & I headed back home, arriving almost exactly 24 hours after we had left.  It was a fun little getaway and a nice visit with family.

No comments: