Friday, September 26, 2008

Week 4 September Savings Challenge

I had to shop early this week (last Saturday) because we were running low on some pantry staples. I guess you have to restock at some point. Because of the drama of the morning (see post here) I think I justified myself in splurging a bit more than I should have. I got sick of just apples and watermelon the week before and spent a lot more on a variety of fresh fruit. I made a new (good!) chowder from scratch and needed a variety of fresh vegetables to do it. I bought two 12-packs of pop, not because we were out or even running low, but because they were a somewhat decent price and I wanted more variety. Not a very good excuse. After 4 full weeks I am right at 50% of my monthly budget if you don't count the Block Party food. There was quite a bit left over, though, and even after giving a lot away I probably have $20 worth of food stocked up in the freezer now. The good news is that after working on my freezer stockpiles all month I had plenty of room for 5 dozen hamburger buns! ;o)

No comments: