Saturday, September 13, 2008

Week 2 September Savings Challenge

Today is the end of Week 2 of my grocery goal. I wasn't home for most of the week, but I did have to restock on milk and cheese. I actually got enough groceries through the middle of next week and spent less than 6% of my normal monthly budget. I shocked myself again at how little I can actually spend if I have to (when I have stuff already in my cupboards/freezer). I also struggled mightily not to stockpile anything again. I did allow myself one splurge item at Walgreens that was almost free after an in-store special and coupon. Although I'll probably still buy some sliced bread for sandwiches, I'm going to be experimenting to see if making more of my own in my new bread machine is more economical. I might just end up making/eating more bread products than normal, but we'll see. It's something fun to try and a great way to warm up and make my kitchen smell good all winter! :o) If you've got any great recipes you'd like to pass along I sure would appreciate it!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am just catching up on your saving challenge! Great idea!! a year ago I saved all my receipts for one month and I was shocked how much we spent on food. We do eat almost every meal at home, but it can add up! I try to buy everything I can at Aldi and that really makes a difference. We also eat every little left-over :( Being just Jaxon and me for lunch most days we do alot of... grilled cheese, PB & J, left-overs, spaghetti(this can last us all week!), turkey & cheese, mini pizzas, chix nuggets, mac n cheese (Aldi's isn't too bad if you add parm cheese to it), and of course a fruit/veggie and dairy with it usually. It's hard to cook for yourself and a toddler, huh? I also like to make our own bread...I don't have a bread maker, but will be curious to hear if you use yours enough to make space to store it and have it :) I
ve also seen them at garage sales and pondered buying one... but I still use the long all day version of baking bread! Great post Megan! Thanks for the food budget ideas...

cobo said...

Awesome garage sale finds! Love the Mr. & Mrs. Potato head! Did your bread machine come with the Oster Instruction/Recipe book? Does it have a Delay timer? I have an Oster too, so I can send you some recipes from it. But if you have the book, I recommend the Parmesan/Pepper Basic Bread, Onion Bread, and South of the Border (green chiles and corn). All of these are great for open face sandwiches or for egg/ham breakfast sandwiches. I haven't figured out the costs yet, but I like the taste a lot better. I keep my bread loaves in a resealable Ziplock to keep it fresh, but you still have to eat the bread pretty fast (or toast it at the end of its life!) Great job on the savings! It was great to see you!

Anonymous said...

Love the photos! and all the bargains. I am not doing so well on the grocery bill this month. Matt's dad came this weekend and that threw things off. I am aiming for October 1 to get it together!!! I was really lazy this summer and we were gone so much I blew my budgeting skills.

The bread machine idea can work if you make the right bread. Pick one that has fewer ingredients, like a French bread. I have a great cinnamon roll recipe you can try. I will send it email.

I love it that you can share the farm experience with Emily. Have you read "Little Heathens"? It's a must read for you.

Julie U