Saturday, September 20, 2008

One of *those* mornings...

Today was one of those mornings. I didn't start off waking up on the grumpy side of the bed, but I quickly got there. It all began when I just couldn't make myself get out of my nice hot shower. I paid for it though, b/c when I finally emerged I discovered Emily had yanked open the drawer containing her very limited video/DVD selection and had cracked one of the VeggieTales DVDs in three pieces. Luckily, it was just a garage sale purchase and not a favorite we can't live without. I don't think she understood the consequences, though.

My next challenge was grocery shopping. I had to go today b/c we were running low on some staples. Wal-mart went fine thanks to a large container of "snacks". However, by the time I got Emily settled in the car cart at Fareway I discovered that I had somehow managed to lose my grocery list between Wal-mart and Fareway. This would be devastating on any occasion but was especially maddening today b/c I had spent an hour the night before meticulously making out a menu plan and list, not to mention the random staples needing to be restocked. Furthermore, while Emily was distracted at Wal-mart I had recorded a detailed price-comparison on flour and toilet paper on the back to be continued at Fareway. Grr!

So after tearing apart my purse and the van I settled for roaming the aisles, trying desperately to visually recall what had been on the list. I think I did pretty well, but I'm sure I'll discover the forgotten items at the most inopportune time. To top this all off I had to deal with a less than cooperative toddler who wanted only to perform acrobatic tricks on the outside of the car cart. She ran away once, flipped backwards into the groceries when the buckle on the front seat wasn't tight enough and banged her head twice while throwing a fit during checkout. Sigh. I think Emily realized I was near the end of my rope b/c when she started fussing on the way home I only had to tell her to stop once.

So what is a very grumpy mommy to do?
1) Eat an early lunch--being hungry just perpetuates the problem.
2) Take a nap--it's amazing what just 20 min. of lying in bed can do for your spirits.
3) Spend a little time in God's Word (which I should have done in the first place this morning). I have been praying through the Psalms off and on lately and was reading Psalm 16 when I got up from my cat nap. Verse 8 says "I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me." (NLT) Oops! I failed the "shaken" test miserably this morning. It's not the first and it certainly won't be the last time, but what a comfort to know that even in low "mommy moments" God is right there to comfort and guide me and give me peace.

So here's to a looong nap time for Emily today and a better afternoon/evening! ;o)

1 comment:

Debbie Giese said...

Hi Megan,
I have those days too, like when a hungry two year old is scaling the pantry shelves in search of food because mommy likes to use the bathroom with the door closed occasionally. On those days, I force myself to breathe and say "Be here now." Sometimes I am so busy looking all around for the fingerprints of God in my life that I miss the sticky jelly covered God prints that He wants me to see. I liked your post. Reminds me of my days.
Deb