Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Lessons from the September Savings Challenge

Well, the final numbers are in. Through September 30 I ended up spending 58% of my normal monthly grocery budget (not counting the Block Party food). However, I will be using part of the block party food for some other things in the future, so I'm going to add some back in and put my final percentage at 62%. Although I didn't quite make my goal of 50%, I certainly learned some things along the way and will be scrutinizing purchases much harder in the future.

I did accomplish the goal of clearing out some of my overwhelming freezer inventory. I added some things back in along the way (leftover hamburger buns, homemade applesauce and loaves of banana bread), but it was very nice not having to worry about how things were going to fit. I also feel like I can be a better planner/shopper when I can physically see all of my freezer inventory without having to spend 10 min. digging around and stuffing things back in.

I did use up a few things from the back of my pantry, but it is still nicely stocked. I didn't feel like this was as much of a problem area to begin with, so I'm satisfied with its state. It's not overcrowded and not terribly depleted.

Here are some of the things I've learned through the September Savings Challenge:
  1. I can spend a lot less on groceries if I have to. It's hard, but the option is there. Although I usually have a pretty good idea where I'm at, it really puts things in perspective when you study the numbers every week--especially if you end up shopping more than once or at multiple stores.
  2. It's very difficult to quell my stockpiling urges if something is on sale or is a really good deal. I think this is okay. For regularly used items it is a better strategy in the long run to buy things you know you'll need when they're on sale rather than paying whatever price they are the week you actually need/use them. There is a balance, though. Things are not a good deal if they get lost in the back of the cupboard/freezer and never get used.
  3. I can't not cook/bake to give away to others. I feel one of my callings in life right now is to give generously to others. My vehicle for doing this is cooking/baking goodies for people. It gives me such joy and puts a serious damper on my spirits to prevent myself from doing it just to save a couple bucks. Not only did I end up giving over half of the leftover Block Party food away, I also brought baked goods/treats three different times for different functions and "paid" someone to babysit on three different occasions by sending them home with food/baked goodies. (For more on your "calling" in life I encourage you to listen to Dave Bartlett's message from Sept. 7 here.)
  4. Buying a bread machine in the middle of the month put a dent in my savings goal. Between the new supplies needed and the endless urge to experiment with new recipes I probably spent an additional 5% of my budget I normally wouldn't have. It has been a lot of fun, though, and I wouldn't change it.
  5. Although it's still a lot cheaper than eating out, cooking a variety of healthy meals from scratch at home can also add up. However, I really do enjoy cooking/baking and am not willing to compromise health and nutrition for convenience and savings on a regular basis. So, I will continue to try new recipes and buy lots of fresh produce and meat, trying to hit seasons/specials as much as possible.

How about you? How did you do? Do you have plans/goals for the future? I am definitely planning to continue trying to reduce my grocery budget. With the much-needed new double garage door & opener arriving soon there is certainly a need to do it! ;o)

2 comments:

fawndear said...

Dang I just gave my new breadmaker away I could have given it to you.
We did the whole month of nothing too and made bread from scratch the whole month. But my six kiddo's ate through it so quickly we had to go to the make a huge batch once or twice a week instead of using the breadmaker every day.
We definately ate healthier as well.
I think you did fabulous! It was fun playing along.

Owlhaven said...

So glad you played along. Sounds like you did just awesome!
Mary