Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Fifty Nifty United States

Did you ever learn the "Fifty Nifty United States" song in elementary school music class? It was my all-time favorite. To this day I can still remember most of it, and I got a chance to prove it. I got a United States lift-a-flap book from the dollar bin at Target this week for Emily. When we "read" it for the first time yesterday I made the mistake of singing the song. I sang it at least 4 times then, 3 times while she sat on her potty before her bath, 4 times while she sat on her potty after her bath and 6 more times before she got into bed. She refused to "read" anything else, and as soon as I finished she would plead, "Song, Mommy, puh-leeese!" I finally cut her off and put her in her crib where she cried for 15 minutes. What have I done!?!?!? Needless to say, the book is currently hiding under the recliner in her room. :o)

For any of you who have never heard the song, or those of you who want to take a trip down memory lane, click here: Fifty Nifty United States - School House Rock.wav

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shout 'em, Scout 'em, tell all about 'em!

Of course I know the whole song! In fact, I can repeat all 50 states in alphabetical order (without singing the tune) in under 20 seconds. TRY IT! I know you will! It just gets tricky not to draw out the "quarter note" states like O-Hi-O!