Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Battle of the wills...with a small victory for both sides

Emily & I have had some serious battles of the wills over the last few days. I've had to review my strategy and change tactics (as well as take some deep breaths) a few times because this is one war I am not going to lose! ;o)

The biggest battles have involved the potty chair and the bathtub at night. Emily does not want to get off the former to get into the latter. That may not seem like the worst problem in the world, but it can be quite frustrating when you know your small group will be stepping in the door in less than 15 minutes and/or your back is aching from sitting scrunched up on the tile floor after looking at the same lift-the-flap book for 20 minutes. Then when she finally does actually get into the water she refuses to sit down. On Sunday night she got a fast washcloth bath while kicking and screaming and trying to climb out. On Monday night I washed her hair while she stood up. Tonight I have a high school girl coming over to observe our supper/bedtime routines in the hopes of establishing a go-to evening babysitter. Let's hope the presence of another person subdues the fury a bit. Either that or Sarah will know exactly what she might be getting into!

Lest I forget the small victory--After sitting on the potty chair for almost 20 minutes last night Emily announced, "pee-pee," and sure enough, there was a little tiny tinkle in the bottom. Yay! I know there is still a loooooong way to go in the potty-training process, but that is a big step for both of us! :o)

No comments: