Wednesday, May 2, 2012

New bikes!

At the beginning of last summer I purchased an old Radio Flyer tricycle at friend's garage sale.  Emily fell in love and refused to ride her bike the rest of the summer.  At the end of March, Austin raised the seat on her red bike, and she was finally convinced to get back on only to discover that she had really outgrown the frame.

This week I found a new one for her on sale at Toys 'R Us.  (Do you know how many weird or inappropriately themed--in my opinion--girls' bikes there are?!?)  Emily was thrilled.  She took it on an inaugural ride to the park (last post).  She still needs training wheels, though.  This is partially because of all the stop and go when waiting for Lincoln to catch up on his little trike and me with the stroller.  Although she can buzz around really well, I still think she's a little behind on the overall comfort level because she basically skipped most of last summer.

Anyway, when we got back from the park I readjusted her seat and moved up the training wheels so she'd actually have to try and balance a little more.  She then threw a fit because her bike was "too tippy" and vowed never to ride it again.  However, she was back on it after supper and hasn't said anything since.  Next time I just have to raise the training wheels in secret. ;o)



Since Emily now has a bigger, girly bike, guess who gets the little red bike?  How thrilled do you think this little guy is?!?  I lowered the seat all the way and removed the tassels and flower basket that had been used to "girly up" the red boys' bike.  Lincoln needs to grow another inch to really be able to get enough leverage to go up an incline, but he can manage on flat or downhill.  We're also going to have to work on the braking concept.  He has tipped over once and scraped up his elbow pretty good, but as soon as I cleaned and bandaged it up he was begging to go back on his bike.  It looks like soon I'll actually have to think about getting a bike myself!


Lincoln still loves his Plasma Car, though.

 

1 comment:

Sarah Craft said...

Are these pics taken with your new camera? They look really good.