Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Zucchini monster

While I was in NW Iowa this weekend I acquired this monstrous zucchini from my sister-in-law. My sister cut off a chunk for herself that she estimates will yield 6 cups of shredded zucchini. I took the rest home along some recipes from my sister. I hauled my portion out yesterday. After skinning it and scooping out the spongy pulp/seeds from the middle I ended up with 14 cups of shredded zucchini. I've never really baked with zucchini before, so I was excited to try something new. I made 4 loaves of bread and a chocolate zucchini cake. They turned out decent even though I have a psychotic oven. The remaining 8 cups is now in my freezer for experimenting at a later date.

It's funny how you can try and mentally justify that what you're eating is "healthy" because it contains vegetables. In reality, between the oil/butter/sugar the bread & cake recipes are probably the nutritional equivalent of a glazed doughnut. Even better is considering the bread a decent breakfast. The only real difference between the cake and the bread is 1/4 cup of cocoa and the fact one is baked in a 9x13 pan and one in loaf pans. Moral of the story: If you want to eat cake for breakfast, bake it in loaf pans and call it "bread". :o)

P.S. If anyone has any tried & true zucchini recipes please feel free to share. They can even be healthy. ;o)

1 comment:

Julie Ulven said...

HA! I had a zucchini, too. But mine was about 12 cups. So no wallpaper removal? Bummer.