Friday, July 13, 2012

Nebraska Vacation Day 4 (& 5)

We left the state park on Friday morning and headed to Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo.  I hadn't been to this zoo since I was in high school, so I was really excited to go.  The kids were excited, too.  It was fun to see their faces as they saw different kinds of animals in person for the first time.  We saw most of the features of the zoo, but ran faster through some than others.  We saved most of the air-conditioned inside exhibits for after lunch when it got hot.  Most of time Lincoln was more interested in the water features (waterfalls, fountains, pools, etc.) and concerned about where the train was at and whether or not he could see it than the actual exhibits.  His highlight was definitely riding the train.  Emily's favorite exhibit was the Kingdoms of the Night.  Overall, it was a good experience.  Here are some picture highlights...


We left zoo around 3:00pm and headed to Austin's parents in Waukee.  We went out for pizza and then went swimming at the pool.  We stayed overnight and headed the rest of the way home after lunch on Saturday.  It was a nice pit stop and a fun visit with Grandpa & Grandma Lorenzen!



Overall, our first family vacation was a big success.  It is a lot different "vacationing" with kids, and I learned some lessons for next time.  It makes me really appreciate all the places my parents took my sisters & I growing up!  I know the kids had fun, and it created some lasting memories.  I'm excited to think about where we might go next year!

No comments: