Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Shade garden

There is a little nook by our front porch that is mostly hidden from view and almost completely shaded that has been needing some dire attention ever since we moved in.  Last fall we moved the scraggly rhododendron bush (which I'm not sure survived the winter, but not too sad about it).  I received a bird bath/solar light/flower stand for Christmas and had acquired some different hostas and coral bells via a friend, roadside stand and other parts of the yard.  Today the kids & I tackled the corner together.  First we got compost from the yard waste site.  Then we dug up all the weeds.  Next we set the bird bath and dug holes for the plants. 

As expected, the kids fought over the watering cans as soon as I got them out.  Lincoln ended up stepping right into a muddy water hole, which required a change of clothing.  The plants ended up too close together, and it still needs mulch and impatiens in the flower pot.  Plus the existing hostas along the walkway need to be thinned out.  But overall, I'm happy to have something done,  and the kids had a lot of fun helping me do it.  :o)



1 comment:

Sarah Craft said...

First off, I love the jelly bean background. Fun! I also really like the idea of a shade garden. We have several areas around our house that are shaded and I have tried in vain to get things to grow. I think this year I'll quit trying and plant some hostas. Thanks for the inspiration. It looks great!