Sunday, March 13, 2011

Toothbrushes for Haiti

Emily's Sunday school class is collecting toothbrushes to send on a mission trip to Haiti next month.  Our church has been going to Haiti for several years and has some strong relationships and partnerships built there.  Emily was all excited after they made a presentation last week.  So when we went to Wal-mart this week, she cleaned out the money from her savings jar and took it along.  She was very proud to be able to pick out a total of 10 toothbrushes and pay for it herself with $5.  She was even more excited to bring them to Sunday school today.  I'm excited because this is the first time Emily has really made a connection about helping someone else out and giving something away.

Side note: As expected, Emily insisted on wearing her new "Easter dress" with the little white sweater to church.  Therefore, I have decided to call it a "Lenten dress" because she'll probably wear it every week.  One of the reasons I didn't dare get any new clothes before this weekend is that I knew once she got them she wouldn't want to wear anything else.  So I had to wait until the weather got warm enough that I wouldn't have to fight her.  After the picture yesterday she immediately put on one of the outfits (see previous post).  As I type this she has changed out of her dress into the rainbow sundress with the white sweater and rainbow leggings.  It's a little much. ;o)

Also, on a completely unrelated note, Austin recently downloaded the "Angry Birds" app onto his iPhone and showed Emily how to play it yesterday.  She is never going to leave him alone now!

3 comments:

Becky Bartlett said...

Very cool that she bought all those with her own money! What a sweetie. And I laughed about the 'lenten dress!' It's very pretty!!

Sarah Craft said...

What a thoughtful girl!! Great job, Emily. I bought my girls Easter dresses already too and I think they have worn them at least a half dozen times. But it is good to see them excited.

cobo said...

Great job, Emily! It feels good to give, doesn't it?