Thursday, March 31, 2011

Goodwill Week

I declared this week to be "Goodwill Week."  I have an entire closet/room in the basement dedicated to "Garage Sale" items.  However, considering the fact I have participated in exactly two garage sales my entire adult life (both were hosted by friends and I just brought stuff), the chances of me actually having a sale and getting rid of the stuff in the near future were pretty slim.  Every time I go to a garage sale (which isn't that often), I think it would be fun to have one, but I never have.  Maybe it's just my crazy business mind.  Anyway, besides the pile-up in the basement, I have been needing to go through and purge my wardrobe for awhile.  So I spent a couple days going through stuff and meticulously documenting and pricing things for the all-important tax-deductible donation receipt (the only consolation for not actually receiving cash for the items).  Today was the big drop-off day.  The back of the van was full and the basement room is empty.  I sometimes have a hard time letting go of things, but it felt good.  The only downside was that I discovered that Goodwill can't accept TV's or grills.  So if you know anyone who would be interested in a 19" box TV (with original remote and instruction manual!), a rarely used Smokey Joe Weber grill or a small table-top gas grill let me know!

3 comments:

Sarah Craft said...

Hey, hey! I made a very hefty trip to Goodwill this week, too. It felt great! I am in full-fledge pitching mode and I couldn't be happier. Good luck with all your projects. I can't wait to see how everything turns out.

Heather's Henhouse said...

Helpful hint: sometimes I have a hard time letting go of things so sometimes I ask Phil to throw it out or take it to Goodwill... then at least I don't see it go and then I won't feel as bad.

Anonymous said...

If you still need to get rid of the TV, you can take it to Best Buy and they recycle it for you. You pay $10 for it, but they turn around and give you a $10 in store credit...