Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Memorial Park - Waverly, IA

I was going to save it for last, but it was such a perfect park day, and I actually remembered to take the camera.  Memorial Park (aka "The Castle Park") is the granddaddy of the Waverly Parks.  It actually includes the Kids' Kingdom wooden playground, the Skate Park, the Municipal Pool, the Lions' ball fields and the fairgrounds.  There are also two large shelter houses and restroom facilities.  We have been to this park more often than any other because of the playground and because it's the closest to us--only 3-5 blocks away.  This was a big draw when making the decision to purchase our house.  Emily can easily ride her bike while I walk with the stroller or wagon.  Here are some highlights from our visit today...

The huge wooden playground is called Kids' Kingdom.  I find this a little ironic since the same type of wooden playground was built in my hometown around the same time and it, too, is called Kids' Kingdom.  You can easily see why Emily nicknamed it "The Castle Park."

There are lots of places to explore, and it's very easy to lose track of where everyone is.  However, there are usually other friendly parents there who kind of keep an eye out for each other.  It has become more fun, but more of a workout for me since Lincoln learned how to walk.  Emily can almost always find a "friend" or two to play with. :o)

One of the favorite spots in the park is the giant sandbox area. We've learned it's a good idea to bring a couple shovels and various containers from home. You can definitely make friends that way!


Lincoln really likes the bouncy things.  


I think this is a good place for Lincoln to play. ;o)


They both like the tire swing.


Emily hanging out.


I thought it would be an extra special treat to get a Tropical Sno from the Waverly Pool on the way home.  After all, I had BOGO coupons that expired at the end of the week.  Emily took one bite and declared it "blechy" and didn't want anymore.  Lincoln refuses to be spoon-fed anything.  Therefore, I enjoyed two small cups all by myself. :o)

 

I know we will literally make hundreds of trips to Memorial Park in the years to come.  I'm thankful for such beautiful facilities so close to our house!

Note: The Waverly Parks web site has recently been updated and now includes a very nice map with the parks marked out.  Therefore, I may not continue my own Google map of the park system.  We'll see.

No comments: