Monday, July 19, 2010

Bathroom rehab

Austin was out of town all of last week for work.  Thankfully, my mom was able to rearrange her schedule to come visit and help out with the kids for three days.  This allowed me to work on a big project to surprise Austin.

This is what our master bathroom looked like when we moved in:


I thought I had taken better "before" pictures.  You can kind of see the extremely dark floral wallpaper that covered all surfaces not tiled or painted in pepto-bismol pink. :op  What the pictures don't show is the popcorn ceiling.  Because the bathroom does not have any kind of a vent fan, mold started growing on the ceiling above the shower/tub and the wallpaper this spring.  How this did not happen in the prior 60 years I have no idea.  Anyway, I forgot to take a picture of the ceiling, but it was gross.  Luckily, underneath the popcorn texture and behind the wallpaper was the original plaster board.  Therefore, the mold had nothing to feed on and didn't damage or spread behind the wall.  All it needed was a surface rehab. 

So I covered all the surfaces in plastic and began the extremely messy job of scraping off the popcorn ceiling.  Then I moved on to the wallpaper.  Thankfully, the wall had been properly primed and the wallpaper came off easier than any I'd ever experienced before (and I'm pretty experienced).
The next step was washing it all down with a TSP solution.  Then came two coats of Kilz primer.  Emily caught an action shot.
Even without a topcoat color the improvement is dramatic.  It doesn't feel like a cave anymore.  You feel like you might really be able to get by with just the overhead light on rather than all four fixtures in order to see what you're doing.  You can even tell the difference between the black and maroon washcloth in the shower with the curtain closed!

We're still working on the full rehab plans.  At least it's a step in the right direction.  Thanks again to my mom for making it possible!

Oh, and I got to mow the lawn for the first time on the new riding lawn mower, too. :o)

2 comments:

Sarah Craft said...

Good work!! Kate would love to live in an almost all pink bathroom. I hope Austin was excited!

Heather's Henhouse said...

It's so nice when grandma's come to help out with the little ones; what's even nicer is when you can get something done. Looks good!