Monday, July 19, 2010

14 months old

Getting this month's picture was quite the workout.  I took over 25 shots in two separate attempts.  Lincoln kept wanting to turn around, stand up or climb down from the chair.  I guess that's what you get with more mobility!  The picture above fits the pose of all the other monthly pictures.  The pictures below are cutest pose and the one that shows his 3 teeth (click to zoom in).



He actually has another tooth poked through on the top, and I suspect is working on a 5th based on the amount of gnawing he does on one side.  In other development news, Lincoln is definitely making the transition to one nap a day.  He has only taken one nap for the last week, but with the trip to G&G's house in there we're still working on establishing a new regular schedule at home.  The good news is that he falls asleep right away at night and sleeps in until 7:30-8:00am.  As long as I have enough time to take a shower without having to get up too early I'll be fine. :o)  I have also transitioned Lincoln to only having a pacifier in bed or on long road trips.

In the mobility department Lincoln continues to become more sure on his feet every day.  He still does the "monster walk" with his arms up in the air, but he can "run" more smoothly and not face-plant quite as often. ;o)  He has also pretty much figured out how to climb down stairs and off of other objects in addition to climbing up.  The baby gate on the stairs is still staying up for awhile, though!

Although Lincoln is not saying any more words, his sounds and "language" have become much more animated.  He is able to communicate wants and displeasures.  The most recognizable gestures are involving food.  He knows when somebody has something that he doesn't and lets you know he wants it.  Especially dessert items.  He also indicates he is done eating any or all of the following ways: pulverizing remaining food with sippy cup, dumping food or sippy cup off of tray, violently spreading food around tray, smearing food on face and/or hair, ripping off snapped bib, turning around and standing up in high chair facing backwards even with tray pushed in all the way, vocalizing he is finished.

One big milestone Lincoln reached is breaking 20 lbs. on our bathroom scale.  Therefore, I finally turned his carseat around to be forward-facing.  I think he's enjoying the new view!   

Maybe it's his smaller stature or language delay.  Or maybe it's just because he's my baby.  Whatever the case, I'm having a hard time making the mental transition of thinking of Lincoln as a toddler rather than a baby.  While I was always looking ahead to the next thing I could try with Emily, I have to keep reminding myself to maybe try something new with Lincoln.  I guess that's what happens with a second child.  Regardless, we love him to pieces!

1 comment:

amussig said...

i love the cues on Lincoln being finished eating! too funny!