Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Cut off

I finally got a baby gate up today.  I can't find the old, cheap tension ones we had for Emily, although I didn't look really hard.  They wouldn't have worked anyway because of the uneven surfaces on the banister post and the woodwork.  So, I had to actually go out and buy a decent adjustable one.  I guess I can justify spending the money since, ironically enough, while I was hauling it in Lincoln climbed up and for the first time fell back down the stairs.  All I heard was the thud and delayed wail.  He is now sporting a large, purple goose-egg on his forehead.  He's fast because I've turned away for just a minute and caught him halfway up the long run of stairs multiple times.  The downside, of course, is that Emily is also blocked off from upstairs.  That's not always bad considering some of the messes/trouble she has caused in the bathroom in recent days.  However, she often goes up to her room and plays quietly on her own.  I don't really want to discourage that.  Plus, whenever the gate is up she wants to be on whatever side she is currently not.  I hope that will quickly wear off with the newness.  In the meantime, we will work on teaching Lincoln how to properly climb back down the stairs.

No comments: