Monday, February 15, 2010

Tupperware, etc.

I love Tupperware products.  I also think the invention of the semi-disposable food container was one of the best in the last decade.  Thus, I have a lot of different food containers.  The age-old problem is how to organize them all.  In our Denver house I had two large shelves in a cupboard with everything at eye-level.  When we moved to Waverly I kind of just shoved everything into a couple larger drawers.  I didn't take the time to sort through them and match lids & containers.  They really needed to be stacked just so in order to get the drawers closed.  After awhile there was not much rhyme or reason to anything.  As you can probably guess, this has been driving me nuts since the day we moved in, but it hadn't quite made it to the top of the priority list.  Until today.  I didn't take a "before" picture, but it was a mess. 

I began by taking every plastic storage container out and matching the appropriate lid.  This is what was left without a partner.  I don't know how in the world that many containers disappeared without the lids.  I'm sure a few of them are currently being used as organizers elsewhere in the house or garage.

After culling the mismatches, this was my collection with quite a few other containers still in rotation (i.e. in the fridge/freezer/cupboards/dishwasher).

I then cleaned out out three drawers in the island and moved my baking dishes, bowls & measuring cups to the drawers the containers came from.  I'm going to experiment with this and see how I like the set up.  It's definitely going to take awhile to get used to it.  I don't normally move things around once I set up a kitchen.  Below are pictures of the newly organized drawers with similar shaped/sized containers nested inside each other and a "filing" system for the lids in a shoe box.  We'll see how long it lasts!

1 comment:

Sarah Craft said...

Good luck with the tupperware organizing. I hope it all stays this way! Tupperware storage is a pain in the rear. I have change up my 'system' a lot without much success. Our drawers are incredibly shallow so that doesn't help. BUT...you have give me motivation to try, try again.
Thanks!