Friday, February 26, 2010

Freezer board

One of the projects I've been wanting/needing to do is cleaning out and taking inventory of my chest freezer.  Things always tend to get lost in the bottom and eventually you can't find anything.  Today I emptied it and made a list of everything inside.  Some of the more interesting finds were 8 large and 4 small loaves of various quick breads (don't need to bake that for awhile!), 11 lbs. of ground beef in various states (raw, cooked, prepped for a particular meal, etc.), 4 tubs of Cool Whip including a chocolate one that expired 2 years ago that I never did find a use for, and my small pumped breast milk supply from last summer that is now expired and will never be used.  I then reorganized things to fit better and supposedly, to find easier.  I used the new Command Velcro-like picture hanger strips to hang up a large white board on the cement wall listing all the contents of the freezer by category.  Theoretically, I should add/subtract things off the lists as the contents of the freezer change.  I already know that's not entirely going to happen.  But at least I might not forget about some of the things in the very bottom!  Now if only the same thing could be said of the upstairs freezer...

1 comment:

Heather's Henhouse said...

I'm not sure what I'm more amazed by- the amount of food you have stored away or the great organizational system you have created. This reminds me of my parents, they always had their deep freeze buried with food. Our freezer is pretty much empty by the time we go grocery shopping... sometimes I wish we had more food stored up but then once I do, I just feel the compulsion to use it up right away.