Tuesday, December 20, 2011

A birthday cake for Jesus

Emily & I had planned on making a birthday cake for Jesus, so we decided Tuesday was a good day to do it.  She wanted a white layer cake with pink and white frosting.  Lincoln got in on the action, too.  We dug out some seldom-used pans for a three-tiered cake.  After carving off (and sampling) the bottom layers, the frosting began.  (How do you like Emily's "frosting" outfit?)




Next came the pink accents.  My buttercream frosting was WAAAY too runny to be squeezing out of a tube, but I was too lazy to open a brand new bag of powdered sugar to try to thicken it up.  It did make for easy spreading for the kids, though.  It quickly became apparent that team star-making was not going to work (see blobs on bottom left of final product), so I took over while receiving directions from Emily.


Of course, licking the frosting beaters is the best part.  Why did I think it was a good idea to frost right before supper again?!?

The final product!  (It is very difficult to write "Happy Birthday Jesus" on a tiny 4.5" diameter very domed cake with runny frosting and a too-big tip.)


Lincoln adding another candle so they each had one to blow out.


Blowing out the candles after singing "Happy Birthday"


It was complete sugar heaven.  The kids & I worked on eating it for three days before leaving for Christmas travels.  Half of it now resides in the freezer if we are ever desperate for dessert. :o)

1 comment:

Heather's Henhouse said...

You're cake looks awesome! I think of making a cake but we've always just had Wendell's birthday so I don't want to make another cake, just for us all to eat. I think maybe I'll keep one cupcake or one slice so we can sing happy birthday. I also thought about making muffins and then using the muffin as a cake. We'll see.. that's a year away.