Friday, April 22, 2011

My little project

While Austin was putting together the play set, I had a little project yesterday, too.  I saw an ad in the classifieds for some free raspberry bushes.  I have fond memories of picking raspberries from my grandparents' garden growing up, so I jumped at the chance to get some of my own.  In the morning I packed up the kids in the van and headed down to the Shell Rock River south of Janesville to a little acreage way out in the woods.  We met the nice older gentleman who lived there and started digging. 



During nap time I worked on planting.  My original plan was to continue the line of existing bushes along the alley.  However, after chopping through the compacted dirt/rocks along the edges I discovered a solid slab of cement about 6" down.  According to our neighbor, the driveway approach for the attached garage actually curves way around and several feet into the alley.  Over the years it has been covered up as the city plows come through and maintain the alley.  So much for plan A.  Plan B was to just move them far enough in to miss the cement.  This still took considerable effort because the dirt was so compacted from the skidloader driving over it while they spread it around.  I dug out nine holes by jumping on a spade and decided to call it quits.  I had plenty of raspberry canes (that's what I learned the shoots are called) to divide up among the holes.  I got some free compost from the city yard waste site to back-fill the holes in hopes of helping them get started.  They may not look too impressive now, but I really hope they make it.  If not, all I have invested is a buck or two in gas and some sweat equity.

I also salvaged the barrel planter pot that was randomly in the middle of the rocked area.  I don't know if it originally had a bottom, but it sure doesn't now.  Whoever put it there also lined the bottom half with gallon milk jugs, so it's not solid dirt.  We had fun planting some flowers in it last year, and I hope to improve upon it this year.  It will also look much nicer when it is surrounded by mulch. :o)

3 comments:

Sarah Craft said...

You and Austin must have A LOT of energy! :)

Heather's Henhouse said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather's Henhouse said...

Hopefully it all works out!