Thursday, June 9, 2011

Beating the heat

The last three days have been a near-record heat wave with temperatures in the mid-90's and high humidity.  Those of you who know me well know I don't do heat and humidity well.  We have been beating the heat with pools and sprinklers in the mornings and avoiding going outside during the hottest part of the day.

The little ladybug sprinkler did not hold the kids' interest very long.  I have a different one on order.  Emily was more excited about trying to make rainbows with the spray nozzle.


We made our first trip to the Waverly public pool on Wednesday afternoon with some friends.  I forgot my camera.  Lincoln did not really enjoy being in a blow-up ring or wearing arm floaties.  He mostly liked to walk/run around the edge of the pool and randomly try to climb or jump in, which means you have to follow him around and watch him like a hawk.  Emily is still content to float around with both a ring AND arm floaties--especially in the big pool.  We'll have to see how future trips go.

The installation of our central air-conditioning is in Week 3.  The old wall unit in the living room kept the main floor tolerable, but the upstairs was almost unbearable (I recorded 87 degrees with 60% humidity at one point).  We sold our window air unit to a friend last week.  Austin worked upstairs in his office, but it was just too hot for Emily to possibly sleep up there.  So she has slept on the couch in the living room for four nights.  This means staying up way past her bedtime.  After the heat broke last night I sent her up to her room at 5:30am this morning.  I had to wake her up at 9:45am.  It will be good to get back to normal again!

1 comment:

Sarah Craft said...

Fun pics! I'm happy to hear you survived the heat and I hope your central air is finished fast!