Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A new park and a Royal Wedding

I knew it was going to be an exceptionally hot and humid day for mid-May, so we decided to explore Cedar Bend Park soon after breakfast.  Cedar Bend is a county park along the river located just north of Waverly.  Emily was supposed to go on a field trip there for preschool last October but it got rained out.  I've been curious about it ever since.  The park consists of a campground, various picnic spots and some aging playgrounds.  I'm not an outdoorsy person, and I wasn't too impressed.  There is a decent little hiking trail along the river bluff that could be fun when the kids are a little older.  We just ventured across a little bridge for a photo op.  Then we spent a little time at the nicest of the playgrounds.



Since it hit a humid 93 degrees and was too hot to do anything else, I finally got around to watching the Royal Wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton this afternoon (thank you DVR).  The kids got into it, too.  Emily thought it was exciting to see a real princess and decided to change her clothes and dress up for the occasion.  Something tells me she didn't read the 22-page etiquette manual that got sent out with the invitations. ;o)  When she heard the organ music she said, "That's just like the songs at Grandma Boote's church!"  Kind of, honey.  Emily also got out the foam blocks to build a church/castle complete with Little People in attendance. 

Lincoln mostly enjoyed marching along to the upbeat parade music.  I enjoyed the pageantry and the beautiful music.  It brought back a lot of memories because I was in London 10 years ago almost to the day while studying abroad in England during college, so all the places they showed on TV I've been to and seen in person.

1 comment:

Heather's Henhouse said...

What a memorable moment for you and the kids! I would have liked to have seen it but I didn't care enough to get up early and we don't have DVR, oh well.