Thursday, May 19, 2011

A day of celebration

Today was Lincoln's actual birthday and also the last day of preschool for Emily, so we found some fun little ways to celebrate.  Each kid got to use the "Celebrate" plate at a meal.  Since Lincoln's birthday cake was gone, the kids & I walked the three blocks to duos for ice cream cones.  Everyone enjoyed the special treat, but we did have a bit of an embarrassing incident when I was balancing three cones in one hand and realized my wallet was not in my purse and I didn't have a single penny on me.  Luckily, it's a small, locally owned business.  The lady behind the counter totally trusted me.  So after finishing our cones we walked home and then walked back to the shop to pay for our ice cream.  I think God has a sense of humor and irony. :o)

Since it was such a beautiful day, and we were halfway there already (again), we decided to continue on to the Wartburg campus to see if the fountains were turned on yet.  Much to the kids delight, they were.  They spent quite a bit of time splashing around (the water is still very clean).


After supper Lincoln had some quality time with Daddy while Emily & I headed to the high school.  Every other year the 5th & 6th grade music department puts on The Wizard of Oz.  The performance is open to the public as a free-will donation.  I'm really glad we packed an activity bag and went 45 minutes early, because we got good seats and it ended up being standing room only.  The production was very impressive, especially considering it was performed by middle-school students.  They sang and danced and did a great job of acting with really cool costumes and props.  Apparently they had over 100 kids audition for parts and have been practicing since January.  It showed.  Emily was especially excited to see one of our regular babysitters, who was a citizen of Emerald City.  I think Emily enjoyed the performance overall, but she definitely does not care for anything remotely scary.  When the lion first appeared, as well as the Wizard and the Wicked Witch of the West, she was digging around in the activity bag for a book to read.  I think that's why she can't make it through any kind of Disney movie.  Hopefully she'll change her mind by the time it's her turn to perform!

2 comments:

Julie Ulven said...

SO many posts to catch up on. Emily and Lincoln look like big kids! Cute!

Heather's Henhouse said...

Wendell is scared of Veggie Tales.. it's it interesting what they find scary. Anyways, now with MMO and preschool done it'll be time to relax and sleep in more, right? : ) And I love the water fountain. I wish we had something here in Waterloo but as far as know we have nothing that is a small water fountain/splash pad. I guess they have the fountain at UNI but that would be quite the trek. Oh well..