Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Humidity hate list

"It's not the heat, it's the humidity."  I don't outright hate many things in life, but the heat/humidity combo is one of them.  It's ironic that in the winter I desperately try to raise the humidity level in the house while in the summer I try just as hard to lower it.  Anyway, here's a list of reasons why I hate high humidity in the summer...
  • Frizzy hair
  • Sticky vinyl or slippery tile floors (this was a huge problem on the ceramic tile in our Denver house)
  • All the open packages of crackers/cookies/cereal turning chewy, mushy gross
  • Having to keep the bread and all other baked goods in the fridge to keep from going bad right away
  • The yucky feeling of being sweaty as soon as you step out of the shower
  • Sweating just by virtue of moving
  • Perpetuating the growing mold explosion in the bathroom
  • Uncomfortable sleeping conditions
  • And the #1 reason--it just plain makes me cranky, which makes everyone else cranky because I've discovered the truth in the saying, "If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!"

4 comments:

Sarah Craft said...

You said it!! But I'd still take this over negative temps.

Heather's Henhouse said...

Phil said you guys don't have air (except in Emily's room). I don't know how you do it.. I don't think I could especially with kids. For your sake, I hope you can get air soon... or it will be a long summer. I guess lots of time outside with some water or sitting right in front of a fan. You might have to schedule lots of playdates with people who have airconditioning : )

Life of the Lorenzens said...

That is true, Sarah.

Heather, we have that wall unit in the living room. By running ceiling fans and keeping the windows & blinds closed we do okay. I have strategically planned outings to air-conditioned places before. :o)

Julie Ulven said...

Iryna calls it "humiliation". We tease her about it. When you think about it humidity is humiliating weather in a way. It humbles us. And the sad part is this is not near as bad as it could be!