Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Day 1 in the Psalms

I've decided to blog about my month-long journey through the Psalms. The purpose is not to brag or impress, but to hopefully inspire and bless and create some much-needed accountability. Heaven knows I need to work on this area of my spiritual life, so maybe having a specific plan with strong accountability will help me form a solid habit. I am using the track found here. I invite you to join me or find another track to use. As mentioned before, my sister has several suggestions on her blog here. I can't promise a blog post every day. I may have a skip day or just not have the time to write about it, but I am going to try hard and do my best. As a last note, I will be reading/referencing my new NLT Bible. While I grew up with and love the NIV, I'm trying something new to maybe gain a different perspective. :o)

Theme: Blessing
Readings: Psalm 67, 72, 84, 128

Two related things stuck out to me in the first two psalms. In Psalm 67 the psalmist is talking about how nations who fear and follow God will be richly blessed. The second part of Verse 4 says, "...you (referring to God) govern [the nations] with justice and direct the actions of the whole world." That is a comforting thought in these turbulent times. From nuclear threats to oil fears to collapsing financial markets and the downward spiral of traditional family values it is sometimes hard to remember (or even believe) that God is in control of everything. But He is, and it's nice to know someone holy and good is ultimately in charge!

To go along with that, Psalm 72 is a prayer for the king. While we are not ruled by a king in America, the second part of Verse 15 still applies: "May the people always pray for him and bless him all day long." Even if we don't always agree with them, it is important to pray for our leaders.

Psalm 84 is an encouragement for jump-starting your journey of growing closer to the Lord. Parts of it are the basis for the famous worship song Better is One Day. Verses 5-7 were specifically an encouragement to me. If you are rooted deeply in your faith and are "strong in the Lord" you will be able to find blessing and strength through even the toughest of times.

Psalm 128 talks about how an individual will be blessed when he/she fears the Lord. Verse 3 specifically mentions my role: "Your wife will be like a fruitful vine, flourishing within your home." As a stay-at-home mom and wife, that is a wonderful promise. I want to flourish in the role God has placed me in at this time and place, and it motivates me to cultivate a deeper relationship with Him.

Feel free to respond with your thoughts. I hope you can clearly see how God has blessed you in at least one way today!

1 comment:

cobo said...

So glad you are doing this 30-day scripture thing also! Wow, I have a new appreciation for writers after trying to organize my thoughts! I look forward to reading all your posts, scripture-related or not (pics of Emily always get a BIG smile). I am also the accountability will be motivating for me too. Love ya!