Today was a snow day--6+ inches fell during the day and school was cancelled. Emily & I took advantage of the free morning by addressing the art desk disaster in the basement. Emily's corner had become so overwhelmingly messy, no one ventured there. Here's what it looked like when we started:
After getting a new garbage bag and a box for recycling, I started sorting through the big white "Craft Box" that had become a dumping ground (in addition to the floor) while Emily worked on little sorting projects like collecting all the crayons, markers, colored pencils, etc. I asked her opinion on a few things, but most went straight to the garbage or recycling without her even noticing. A few things got hung on the wall. It was really a matter of sorting supplies back into their proper containers and eliminating the "fun and done" projects. After a couple hours it looked like this:
Most of the containers had already been in use but just needed to be re-labeled. The old art cart could use a better sorting, and we still need to come up with a better system for storing paper (plain white & colored construction), but it was a vast improvement. Emily spent most of the afternoon working on projects at her desk. Unfortunately, it doesn't take long for it to slip back into messy mode, but I think if we try to sort and keep up a little more often it won't get so bad again that it becomes unusable.