Friday, September 17, 2010

Peer pressure

I knew it would happen sooner or later.  After picking up Emily from preschool yesterday we went to Wal-mart to get a few things.  The first thing Emily noticed when we walked in the store was the huge display of backpacks.  She then spent the next 10 minutes asserting that she needed a new backpack because the other kids at preschool had wheels on their backpacks and she wanted a backpack with wheels.  First of all, I'm pretty sure most of the kids don't have wheels on their backpacks.  Secondly, I don't think you really need wheels when pretty much the only thing you carry back and forth is a single red folder with papers and correspondence from the teacher.  Thankfully, I think it was just a fleeting thought prompted by a visual reminder because she hasn't said anything about it since.  However, Emily adamantly insists that it is her birthday on Saturday. ("Just wait until Friday is over, Mom, and then it will be my birthday.")  She has informed me that all her friends are coming over for a party.  I'm afraid she is going to be sorely disappointed.  Daddy will be home for the first time all week, but that might not be enough to satisfy her.  I have a feeling we might go through this same thing for the next six Saturdays until it really is her birthday.  Sigh...

1 comment:

Heather's Henhouse said...

I think preschool is going to be a good learning experience for us parents as well as the kids. Wendell had his first birthday invite after only two weeks of going to preschool. He didn't go.. he barely knew the kids (they were twins) and I didn't know the parents. I was a bit shocked to get an invite so early in the year and wasn't sure of the expectations.