Sunday, September 11, 2011

10th Anniversary of 9/11


Today marked the 10th anniversary of 9/11.  I was a junior in college when it happened.  I had just come out of my Intro to Marketing class and remember watching the towers burn on a TV in the lobby of the business building at UNI.  I spent most of the rest of the day glued to the TV in my apartment.  I was caught up in the patriotic swell that followed and bought an American flag to fly from the old house I was living in.  
It still feels a bit surreal, even today.   I was touched by the tolling of all the church bells in Waverly at 8:46am this morning to mark the time of the first plane hitting the World Trade Center.  We also had a fantastic interview and message on grace at church by a member who was and still is an American Airlines pilot.  I don't know anyone personally who was directly affected by the attacks on 9/11/01, but it affected all of us as Americans.  I hope someday we will be able to convey the meaning of it all to our children and the generations to follow.

No comments: