Friday, April 30, 2010

Watching & Waiting

I remember pulling up a chair/stool and anxiously watching cookies bake in the oven when I was a kid.  This was Emily today with fresh rhubarb muffins and "watching them grow".  I usually made it through at least half of the cookie baking time.  Emily made it about 30 seconds.  Then she got distracted with poking holes in her piece of bread and eventually abandoned the kitchen...until I pulled the muffins out of the oven.  I think I heard her say, "Mama, I want a muffin!" at least a hundred times.  After 10 minutes I finally gave in.  Then she screeched when she "burned" herself on the "hot" foil muffin cup after I told her she should wait for it to cool some more.  Then she squawked when the muffin ever so slightly cracked on one side because it was still warm when she tried to unwrap it.  She ended up smashing it in anger and refused to eat it period.  It's still sitting in the fridge on the same plate along with the one bite of pork chop she was supposed to try at supper.  It might be an interesting breakfast in the morning... ;o)

No comments: