Saturday, August 13, 2011

Garden harvest

It's the time of year when lots of things are ready to eat in the garden.  I harvested the entire sweet corn crop from our 20 plants this afternoon.  I wasn't really planning on doing that today, but I discovered the ears were pretty over-ripe.  I definitely need some lessons on determining when to pick it.  Both Lincoln & Emily helped shuck the corn for about 2 minutes each.  Lincoln was supposed to be picking off silk, but soon just started picking off kernals.
 

Emily & I counted 16 small ears that were worth our (my) time and effort to clean (the picture makes them look way better than they really were).  The rest were too small or were hardly filled out.  It turned out to be approximately 6 cups of corn, which I froze.  I'm not even sure if it's edible it's so chewy.  It's a good thing I bought some good ears from the Dix kids earlier in the day for lunch tomorrow!


The beans are all on their second wind, and I'm getting ready for the third cutting of broccoli.  The tomato plants are overflowing.  I brought two ice cream pails to NW Iowa this week because none of theirs are red yet.  This is one plant after getting back home.  And those are all good-sized tomatoes.  I'm going to have to start giving them away to neighbors and friends (any takers?).


We're so blessed...right, CoBo?!?! ;o)

1 comment:

Heather's Henhouse said...

It's so fun to have the garden produce food.. but it also brings a lot of work. We have a pile of cucumbers that are planned for pickle relish... we just need to find the time to do it!