Friday, August 13, 2010

Humbling week

It has been a very humbling week for me.  My right hip started aching last Saturday, and it turned into excruciating pain down my whole leg on Sunday morning.  Austin had just left for a four day business trip, so I had to call a friend for help.  She dropped everything to come watch the kids while her mom came along to take me to the walk-in clinic, which sent me to the ER.  I was diagnosed with a large muscle spasm, and it took a double dose of Vicodin and Flexeril to get things calmed down.  My friend's mom graciously insisted on staying the night, which was a good call, because I was so loopy I just sat and did whatever I was told to do. 

The pain was pretty much gone by Monday morning so I sent our rent-a-grandma home in the late afternoon. I was still experiencing numbness in my lower right leg and foot, but I was able to get by.  I had a follow-up appointment at my regular doctor's office on Wednesday.  They suspected some remaining inflammation around my sciatic nerve and referred me for physical therapy.

Thursday was a really rough day.  Other parts of my leg/hip were starting to hurt because of the way I was compensating for a loss of range of motion in my ankle when walking.  I was exhausted physically and emotionally.  Austin had returned home late the night before and ended up coming home from work at noon to help me out.

Austin worked from home all day on Friday, too.  I had my PT appointment in the morning at the Waverly hospital across the street.  After an extensive examination I was put in traction for 15 minutes and went through a series of exercises.  The PT suspects a herniated disc is pinching a nerve root (but probably not the sciatic nerve), which is causing the numbness and loss of range of motion.  I have a long list of exercises/stretches to do at home and will have 2 weeks of PT before they re-evaluate.  Right now the best case scenario is that it eventually takes care of itself with the exercise routine.  Absolute worst case scenario is an MRI down the road to see if surgery is the best option.

All of this has come as quite a blow to my independent, control-freak self.  Asking for help is not easy because I feel guilty for inconveniencing people--especially since almost everyone I could ask lives out of town and either has a full-time job or little kids of their own to take care of.  It's going to take a lot of patience and grace to make it through this, but life goes on and we will survive!  Please keep us in your prayers.

1 comment:

Heather's Henhouse said...

Oh Megan.. that does not sound fun at all, especially being a mom yourself. We'll definitely keep you in our prayers and free to call if you need anything!