Monday, August 30, 2010

46 months old


Emily is inching closer to being four!  She loves coloring, pretending with her princess and other figurines and riding her bike in circles around the driveway.  This month I've been keeping track of some funny conversations we've had...

Emily: Mom, I think I've been watching too much T.V. just like the Berenstain Bears.
Me:  Okay, well you can certainly turn it off.  (Feeling guilty because it's probably true.)
Emily: No, thanks.
Although she loves watching "videos," she will sometimes grow weary of watching TV and just turn it off herself since she figured out the "Off" button on the remote.

Emily: Should I play with my bunny or the dress-up clothes?
Me:  How about the dress-up clothes.
Emily:  Nope, try again.
Me:  The bunny?
Emily:  Okay!

Me:  Emily, you need to drink your milk.
Emily:  I can't drink my milk.  See, it's in my story, "The girl can't drink her milk." 
Me:  Well, maybe Super Why can change the story.
Emily:  launches into a verbatim narrative of the Super Why show...With the power to read, I can change the story and save the day!  Let's change the word "can't"...proceeds to change "can't" to "can" and drinks her milk.  Whatever works.

Emily:  What are we having for supper?
Me:  Roast with potatoes and carrots.
Emily:  Carrots aren't for me to eat--they're for putting on snowmans.
She calls cooked carrots "pumpkins" and had two helpings that night.

MouldylocksWhile reading about Mouldylocks' birthday party for the seventh night in a row...
Emily: I'm not going to get a bat-in-a-box and talking-walking boots for my birthday.
Me:  What do you want for your birthday?
Emily:  Balloons, Cinderella stuff and a big radio.
Me:  But you already have a nice radio.
Emily:  Yeah, but that's a little one.  Don't worry.  I'm going to get a big one for my birthday.

After telling Emily for several days she should pick up her room she busied herself for a half hour one morning.
Emily:  Mom, come look at my clean room!
Me:  Wow--the floor looks great!  There's lots of piles on the shelves, though.  Where did the rest of the stuff go?
Emily:  Under my bed. (And it was!)

And the ever-popular...
Emily:  Mom, I need sumpin'.
Me:  What do you need?
Emily:  Ummm...silence because she can't remember or think of anything.

I'll leave you with pictures of Emily's latest self-portrait and the chalk drawing that has been decorating the driveway for the last week or so...

No comments: