Saturday, February 25, 2012

52 OHC: Week 8

This week's challenge was on menu planning and grocery lists.  This is another area that I feel like I already have a good system in place.  I typically sit down on Sunday afternoon/evening and plan the menu for the week.  I use a printed version of my iCal monthly calendar that includes our family schedule so I can plan around various events.  I clip coupons and use the weekly grocery ads to plan meals and stock up on sale items.  Meals are penciled in to allow for flexibility within the schedule.  I usually just plan dinner since lunch is leftovers or something simple.  I have gotten better about using the plan to manage leftovers as our family needs and schedules change.  I used to keep the menu calendar in my recipe binder, but I have started hanging it on the fridge for everyone to see.

Last fall I switched from multiple grocery lists for different stores on random note pads to a free phone app called Grocery IQ, and it is awesome!  It has a scanner function that can scan barcodes from products and add them to the list.  The list is categorized by aisles, and the aisle order can be customized for different stores.  Items can also be assigned to specific stores, which I do.  When I do my menu plan I add the items I don't have on hand.  I add things throughout the week when I think of them or realize I'm running low.  I also have a favorites list that I can scroll through and add staple items.  Another nice feature is that it synchronizes across devices, so if Austin is running low on coffee, he can scan the barcode with his phone and it shows up on the grocery list on my phone. :o)

Note:  I don't want to sound like I'm bragging or make it seem like I have everything under control by putting up all these organizing posts.  Rather, I'm continuing to do it to give myself and the kids a picture of what life was like at this stage and maybe offer some explanation in the future as to how the environment/culture of our household influenced the development of our kids.  I also hope to inspire others and/or share some ideas that have worked for me.

No comments: