Saturday, February 5, 2011

Silly Saturday

Today was another fun day at home.  With it being sunny and close to 30 degrees this afternoon, we bundled up and went outside again.  After hauling out the wagon and Emily's bike, Emily asked if we could go to the castle park, so we did.  It took less than 10 minutes to decide that it wasn't quite as much fun in the winter with everything covered in 1-2 feet of snow as it is in the summer.  Lincoln still managed to go down one of his favorite slides. :o)


Back home Emily commenced digging tunnels for groundhogs, which she learned about in preschool this week.  Did you know groundhogs and woodchucks are the same thing?


Earlier when Lincoln was napping Emily asked if we could bake a cake.  We decided to go with a confetti angel food box mix from the pantry.  It cooled on the counter while we were outside.  Emily couldn't wait to frost it.  I mixed up a nice pink buttercream frosting.  Lincoln loves licking the beaters. :o)

Then it was time for the sprinkles.  Since I was so rushed at Target on Thursday, I didn't have time to look at various places in the store for the best deal on Valentine sprinkles.  I ended up with a huge sampler bottle and another large one of nonpareils (why do I torture myself that way?!?).  With enough pink & red sprinkles to last 5 years, I let Emily have at it.  She wanted to try all of them.


This is what happens when you're not paying attention and have two eager "helpers"...


Is this a look of guilt or satisfaction?!?


The cake itself was pretty much disgusting.  I somehow managed to really underbake it (there is a reason for the big, bold warning on the box) and it sunk in.  The frosting was a little too much for a supposedly light angel food cake (reminded me too much of the frosting-laden angel food birthday cakes of my childhood).  And the generous amount of sprinkles made several bites quite crunchy and a bit unnerving.  As eager as they were to try it, neither kid finished their piece after supper.  Austin didn't even touch it.  This is why I rarely bake cakes--I know I'll just end up eating the entire thing by myself.  However, like the birthday cakes from my past, it was a fun project making happy memories. :o)

1 comment:

Heather's Henhouse said...

Glad you had a fun day. We went out to the park on Friday and Harlie couldn't even walk around from all the snow. But the slides were fun as well as the swings (even though I can't get Harlie in the baby swing because of her boots). Not sure about the cake.. lots of sprinkles on there. Good memories!